Friday 5 December 2014

第二: J-CULT THURSJAY!

I'm already one day late for my J-Cult Thursjay post! How awful. I will try harder next week!

This evening, after finding articles on Japanese art trends, strange panda seats on trains, and an elaborate advert for the Japanese department store Isetan with their song isetan-tan-tan (you really should have a look. It's so cute!), I finally found something really awesome! 

Vampillia is a Japanese band which was started in Osaka in 2005. They have a really interesting style which I find incredibly exciting yet difficult to describe. Their music takes you on a journey from gentle, hypnotic sounds and experimental orchestral music to fast-paced death metal crossed with punk/grunge. I'm not very good at describing musical styles - never have been - but this one is really hard to label. They say it themselves on their facebook page! Anyway, who needs labels.

This evening I have been checking out their newish song Mirror Mirror. The video clip complements the music incredibly well with beautiful and sometimes shocking animations playing with fractals and images melding together to form interesting shapes. In fact, the more I watch it, the more intriguing it is seeing the beauty juxtaposed with quite horrific images! Have a look! 


Having a quick listen to some of their other music, lilac is also really lovely! Such beautiful orchestral music! Northern Lights is really awesome as well! I will definitely spend a little more time with these guys! From the look of it, they have been quite successful and have done a lot of tours all over the world including one to Australia! I wish I'd known beforehand! Here they are for your enjoyment! 


If you want to know more about Vampillia, here are some links!

Vampillia Official Web Page


Vampillia @ facebook

Buy an album!


No comments:

Post a Comment