Wednesday 26 November 2014

第一 J-CULT THURSJAY!

Over a year ago, I remember posting the following:


Ha! Well, that never really happened. Perhaps my little project was unreasonable considering how busy my life was at that time. Short films, theatrical productions and the like...     . . .

Instead of going all out, researching and writing a thesis on each topic that interests me, I am going to trawl the net each Thursday and find one thing I like from Japanese culture. I'm going to call this section THURS J-CULT! I'm hoping there are no horrid cults out there calling themselves this. So, this is most likely going to be from Japanese pop culture, but I wont close any doors. Not even my front door. (It's rather hot and the breeze is gently blowing up my short leg...)

Today will be the first, and I have no idea what I'm going to find. Let's have a look now. BRB......


Well, I have found something super interesting related to Japanese culture! It is also related to teddy bears, and who doesn't like soft, fluffy things!

Steiff, the maker of the very first teddy bear in the whole entire world, has just made a totoro plushie! In case you didn't know, My Neighbour Totoro (となりのトトロ) is an anime and a Hayao Miyazaki masterpiece from 1988. (Check here for a trailer!

(From http://yattarjapan.com/en/3008302/)

Apparently Steiff has made Hello Kitty plushies in the past, but the totoro plushie will be the first plushie from a collaboration between Steiff and Studio Ghibli

Unfortunately you can't buy it now, but if you get in early, you'll be able to score yourself one for about $400 sometime next year in 2015! Remember, you have to fill up the back seat of your car with soft toys and that includes Steiff teddy bears. Just don't park anywhere with a high crime rate... Steiff totoro plushies are a limited edition, so don't wait! I want one, but I am still trying to justify purchasing a giant pikachu plushie from the Pokemon Centre in Japan last year...



So, how was that? I'll try and find something interesting (or a little more interesting...) each Thursday! If you have any suggestions, let me know! I was thinking about trying to write a Japanese version of this, but I am enjoying my mini-break from the Japanese language. I hope to get back into it soon, and am considering studying up for the JLPT N2 exam. Maybe... 




No comments:

Post a Comment